We, the undersigned group of human rights and religious freedom organizations from various backgrounds, express our serious concern following the appointment of Chinese Minister Jiang Duan to the UN Human Rights Council’s Consultative Group this month. We call on Asia-Pacific members to adopt a stricter standard of scrutiny during the selection process. China’s selection represents a blow to the UN human rights system. This is not only because of the government’s demonstrably poor record on human rights, but because of its frequent refusal to cooperate with independent UN monitors. These are the very officials that China’s delegate now has the power to approve or reject.
- Over 70 Civil Society Organisations Urge for Co-sponsorship of the US Stop Forced Organ Harvesting Bill of 2021
- 18 Organizations and Individuals Call for the Review of Somalia’s VP Position at the Human Rights Council Bureau Given Their Apostasy Law
- Mocevic Case: Oral statement at the 47th UN Human Rights Council Session
- Tai Ji Men Case Discussed at International Religious Freedom Summit 2021
- International Community must pay attention to the persecution of Ahmadi Muslims worldwide