Freedom of conscience and belief at a crossroads in Europe – self-determination and spiritual teachings
Governments are implementing new laws across Europe, claiming to protect citizens from “mind manipulation”. The criminalization targets particularly minority religions and spiritual movements.
Our democracy is based on self-determination – the individual’s ability and right to decide for himself. The new laws suggest that this ability is threatened today. But are spiritual teachings the threat? Is criminalization the answer?
If the individuals’ ability of self-determination is threatened, should it not be secured by strengthening the freedom of conscience, rather than by criminalizing certain thoughts or beliefs?
Welcome to the 6th Spiritual Human Rights conference with international experts, politicians, human rights activists and spiritual leaders discussing different perspectives on self-determination and spiritual teachings.
at Global Platform Denmark, Fælledvej 12, Copenhagen 12
or participate online at spiritualhumanrights.org
Program, Tuesday 10th December 2013
- 11.30 – 12.00: Registration and tea
- 12.00 – 14.30: Morning session: Minority religions and spiritual movements are specifically targeted by “mind manipulation” laws. What is the background and consequences of this disproportionate attention?
- 14.30 – 15.30: Lunch
- 15.30 – 18.00: Afternoon session: If the individuals’ ability of self-determination is threatened by mind manipulation, this should be countered by a strengthened freedom of thought, conscience and belief. What is the role of authorities and what is the role of spiritual teachings in cultivating this inner freedom?
- 18.00 – 18.15: Tea break and mini-concert
- 18.15 – 19.00: Conclusions
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
MORE INFORMATION ON http://soteriainternational.org/spiritualhumanrights2013